Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Careful with Words

I've been guilty quite a few times of poor use of the English language. I use vague terms or archaic terms. Every so often I catch myself doing this, and then I get stuck in the awkward phase of wondering how to change my vernacular as I'm talking. Maybe this will make better sense with an example. So often when it comes to international missions, people talk about going overseas. Although this may be a correct explanation, it's still a worn-out term. Do people still talk about the Orient? They do, but countries and territories are called by their names rather than being called the Orient. If I go to Europe for missionary work, I am going overseas. But do international workers or expatriates live and work internationally or overseas?

I'm not just striving to be more politically correct. I want to be sensitive to other cultures. I do not want to go to another nation, another people group and look down on them because of their culture or because they have not yet heard about Christ. I want to be involved in missions; I want to be involved in God's mission. I hope to humbling serve with love, and that includes listening to how I talk. Am I talking down other cultures and, ultimately, people indirectly?

No comments: